- Former Chair, Volunteer Lawyers for the Poor Foundation
- Trustee, Austin E. Knowlton Foundation, Inc.
- Trustee, Cincinnati Ballet Foundation
Robert A. Pitcairn, Jr.
Bob joined a select group of attorneys when he was recognized by his peers as the top Ohio Super Lawyer®, an honor he has earned twice.
Visitors to Bob Pitcairn’s office are greeted by classical music, an uncluttered desk, and a sense of calm not normally associated with litigation (or a litigator’s office).
But make no mistake, Bob performs with surgical precision business litigation that often has the highest stakes for his corporate and individual clients. Bob operates in these cases with a studied approach, a deliberate pace, a steady hand, and no fear of getting a little bloody in the process. For that reason, clients have entrusted Bob with their most significant problems, and Bob has been the sole or lead trial counsel in hundreds of civil lawsuits, mostly in the state and federal courts in Cincinnati.
Bob’s poise and polish under pressure in commercial contract and business disputes, and deft touch with complex litigation, have led to local and national recognition as a top “bet-the-company” litigator, in areas as far-ranging as antitrust, employment law, ERISA, patent, probate, securities and tax. In 2007, he joined a select group when he was recognized by his peers in the state of Ohio as the top Ohio Super Lawyer® (the leading vote-getter in the entire state in the annual voting to determine who will be recognized in Super Lawyers Magazine), an honor he earned again in 2008.
In addition to Bob’s litigation practice, he served as the chair of the firm's management committee from 2000 to 2012. Bob also served as the head of the litigation practice group from 1980 to 2019.
Awards and Honors
- The number one Ohio Super Lawyer® for 2007 and 2008
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers since 1989
- Recognized as one of Woodward/White’s Best Lawyers in America® since 1991 in the field of business litigation and, more recently, bet-the-company litigation
- Recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer® “Top 50” in Cincinnati from 2004-2019 and “Top 100” in Ohio from 2004-2018
- Recognized by Chambers USA as one of America’s leading lawyers
- Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a litigation star
- Recognized by Lawdragon, Inc. as one of the leading litigators in America
- 2012 & 2014, Recognized by Woodward/White as the Lawyer of the Year in Cincinnati for bet-the-company litigation
- 2013 & 2015, Recognized by Woodward/White as the Lawyer of the Year in Cincinnati for litigation-securities